Featured Attraction of the Week: Beaty Biodiversity Museum (Free Tickets!)
Welcome to Inside Vancouver’s new “Featured Attraction” series. Each Monday we’ll be featuring a different Vancouver attraction, and will be giving away free tickets to our readers. To be eligible you just need to post a comment.
Fall in love with the diversity of life as you explore 20,000 square feet of exhibits, visit their teaching lab, and stare through the jaws of the largest creature ever to live on Earth—the blue whale, at the Beaty Biodiversity Museum.
The museum puts UBC’s natural history collections, with more than two million specimens, on public view for the first time. Among the museum’s treasures are a 26-metre-long blue whale skeleton suspended in the Djavad Mowafaghian Atrium, the third-largest fish collection in the nation, and myriad fossils, shells, insects, fungi, mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and plants from around British Columbia and the world.
Through a combination of exhibits, hands-on activities, educators’ resources, public presentations, and community and cultural engagement, they are working to increase understanding of the interconnectedness of all life on Earth. Just as important, they connect the world-renowned scientists at the adjacent Biodiversity Research Centre with the public. This unique combination of world-class, university-based research and beautiful, compelling exhibits makes the research conducted by UBC scientists more accessible and more relevant to the public.
Party with the museum to celebrate their first birthday. This will be the most bio-diverse first birthday party you’ve ever been to! Enjoy their brand-new exhibits and programming which began on Saturday, October 22.
- Birthday Party Activities: Decorate your very own birthday hat and play biodiversity-themed birthday party games; daily for a limited time only.
- Raising Big Blue: Weekends at 11:15 a.m., 1:15 p.m., and 2:45 p.m.
- New Museum Tour: Daily at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m., additional weekend tour at 3:30 p.m.
- New Puppet Show: “This is your life!” Meet a variety of animals and discover their life stories. Weekends at 11:00 a.m.
- Story Time: Weekdays at 11:00 a.m., daily at 3:00 p.m.
- Brand-New Exhibit: An incredible 30 metre timeline, spanning 4.54 billion years of earth’s history!
- New Art Exhibition: IsoTYPE, a series of student and community generated art, exploring issues in sustainability and biodiversity.
If you’d like to get the museum a present, consider joining as a member!
University of British Columbia
2212 Main Mall
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Monday: Closed for research
Tuesday – Sunday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Getting to the Beaty Biodiversity Museum
The Beaty Biodiversity Museum is easily accessible via car and public transportation. Please click here for more information.
Article source: http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2011/11/21/featured-attraction-of-the-week-beaty-biodiversity-museum-free-tickets/