Last year, I braved cross-country skiing for the first time in my life. While my technique is definitely lacking, I must confess that I find myself hooked! Considered to be the granddaddy of all skiing disciplines, cross-country skiing is a terrific fitness activity to add to your winter sports portfolio and Cypress Mountain is Vancouver’s hotspot for Nordic adventure. Not convinced you are ready to join the legion of folk in tight pants on skinny skis?
7 reasons to choose Nordic:
- No Lift Lines – simply gear up and start your adventure. No need to wait patiently in line for the chair. If you can walk, you can cross-country ski.
- The View – on a clear day, the view from Cypress Mountain is spectacular. Plan to stay for sunset to experience an epic West Coast Ski moment.
- Outdoor Zen – escape the crowds and savour a Zen moment while you reconnect with nature.
- Fitness – a day cross-country skiing can range from a low impact workout to a strenuous heart-pounding affair. You choose the trail, terrain and pace to match your fitness goals.
- Comfy Boots – designed for travel with support and comfort in mind, your feet will welcome the feel of well-constructed cross-country ski boots.
- Fairly Reasonable Cost – compared to downhill skiing, a day on slender skis is relatively inexpensive.
- It’s Social!
Wondering where to cross-country ski near Vancouver? Located only thirty minutes from downtown Vancouver, Hollyburn Ridge on Cypress Mountain features 19 km of groomed and track set trails, several of which are under bright lights specifically designed for night skiing.
Excited to explore the Nordic Trails?
Rest assured, the Cypress Nordic Rental Centre is stocked up with a wide variety of gear for both classic and skate skiers, and should you be interested in perfecting your technique the Ski School team is ready to support you.
Check the Snow before you Go!
Seasoned veterans know that conditions on the North Shore Mountains change frequently. Be sure to visit the Cypress Mountain website for snow updates, information on trail openings and closures and current hours of operation. Experts will particularly enjoy the ski wax recommendations. Of course, since seeing is believing take a peek at the live webcams and the snow stake cam. Enticing to say the least!
Article source: http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2017/12/23/fresh-tracks/