Spring Break for kids in Vancouver schools runs from March 19 – 23, 2012 (though some schools are off before/after those dates). Which means many parents will be scrambling to find fun activities to do with the kids—and get them out of the house!
Luckily, Vancouver has lots of options for Spring Break 2012 Activities, from climbing walls at the BC Sports Hall of Fame to outdoor ice skating (in March!) to CSI-style forensic day camps.
Top 10 Kids’ Activities for Spring Break 2012
1. Babies at the Vancouver Aquarium – March 9 – May 6, 2012
Everyone loves baby animals! The Aquarium’s newest spring exhibit—perfectly timed for Spring Break visits—lets you see live jellyfish babies, baby clown anemonefish and seahorses, and baby stingrays. There are also daily educational shows that explain how animals breed and care for their young, plus the film Happy Feet in 4-D. There are also March Day Camps at the Aquarium, too.
2. Outdoor Spring Skate at Park Royal – March 9 – 18, 2012
Skate outdoors in West Vancouver on a synthetic ice rink that feels just like real ice. Special events include Toddler Tuesday on March 13 and a Meet the Canucks Mascot on March 15. Skating and skate rentals by donation.
3. Medieval Mayhem at Telus Wold of Science – March 10 – 25, 2012
For Spring Break, Science World lets kids get medieval with crafts and activities ranging from crown-making and Knight School to weaving and sword-fighting. While there, kids can check out Science World’s interactive galleries Kidspace (great for toddlers) and the Eureka physics gallery.
4. Birding Bonanza at the Beaty Biodiversity Museum – March 10 – 25, 2012
It’s all about birds at the Beaty Biodiversity Museum this Spring Break, where kids can enjoy hand-on activities, games and bird-themed crafts.
5. Spring Break at the Vancouver Art Gallery – March 12 – 25, 2012
VAG’s Spring Break is an extended version of their Weekly Family Programs: interactive activities for kids 5 – 12 that include Art Agents and The Making Place workshops.
6. Spring Into Action at the BC Sports Hall of Fame – March 13 – 24, 2012
The BC Sports Hall of Fame reopened this year after a major renovation. Kids on Spring Break will love exploring the new galleries—including the new Vancouver 2010 Gallery and Hall of Champions—as well as Spring Break games like the “Spring into Action Colouring Contest” and “Spring into Action Ultimate Trivia Challenge.” For exercise, there’s also a Participation Zone where kids can climb the wall, run the track, kick the ball and slap the puck!
7. CSI Camp for Kids, Spring Break 2012 at the Vancouver Police Museum – March 14 – 16 21 – 23, 2012
The Vancouver Police Museum brings back its popular forensic workshops for kids just in time for Spring Break, with a three-day CSI camp that offers children aged 8 – 13 the chance to try their hand at crime-solving and forensic investigation. There are also Drop-in Forensic Workshops for families and younger kids on March 6 – 7, 2012.
8. Spring Break at Granville Island Kids Market – March 18 – 30, 2012
Granville Island’s Kids Market—one of the best places to take kids in Vancouver—is hosting several low-cost events for Spring Break 2012, including $2 Potato Arts Crafts, $5 Ceramics Sand Art and $5 face painting. Check the site for specific dates.
9. Spring Break Scavenger Hunt at the Burnaby Village Museum – March 19 – 25, 2012
The adorable Burnaby Village Museum—where the 1920s come to life—has a Spring Break scavenger hunt that’s really theatre art: kids hunt for Marionettes, paper bag and shadow puppets, while taking breaks for live performances and a whirl on the carousel (all included in the admission cost). The old-fashioned ice cream parlour will be open, too.
10. Take the kids to one of Vancouver’s March Festivals:
- CelticFest 2012 – which returns March 10 with a free, all-day event – March 10 – 18, 2012
- Coastal First Nations Dance Festival – March 8 – 11, 2012
Have more ideas for Spring Break 2012 Activities in Vancouver? Please leave your suggestions in the comments!