Pack a few extra breath mints in your bag because this weekend, a celebration of the “stinking rose” will occur in Richmond for the 8th Annual Vancouver Garlic Festival this Sunday, August 21.
This year, the festival will take place on the Sharing Farm at the Terra Nova Rural Park in Richmond, BC. Highlights include family friendly fare, a garlic market, live music, cooking demonstrations, and a kid’s zone.
When: Sunday, August 21, 2016 from 10:00am – 3:00pm
Where: The Sharing Farm (Tera Nova Rural Park, 2771 Westminster Highway, Richmond)
Cost: Entry is by donation.
It should come as no surprise that food is the focus of the garlic festival, with participating restaurants and chefs being challenged to create healthy, locally sourced, family-friendly meals with a garlic twist.
For $3 per serving, you can sample garlic-y fare from Rocky Point Ice Cream, The Westin Grand, River Rock Casino, and Nextjen Gluten Free.
Over 5,000 people are expected to spend Sunday enjoying the festival (along with the infamous GARLIC ICE CREAM). Best of all, the festival takes place at The Sharing Farm located in the beautiful Terra Nova Rural Park, so make sure you carve out some extra time to enjoy the park.
Food and drink tickets for the event are available for sale online in advance but you can also buy them on Sunday.
To get you excited, check out these extra fun facts about garlic!
- The greatest health benefits come from garlic by chewing it raw (if you can handle it…)
- There are over 300 varieties of garlic grown throughout the world
- Garlic was used, in Medieval times, as a cure for drunkeness and over-eating
- The psychological term for a fear of garlic is alliumphobia
- The smell of garlic can be removed by running your hands under cold water while rubbing a stainless steel object.
More information is available at www.metrovangarlicfest.ca